Karelian Research Centre
of the Russian Academy of Sciences
International Research and Training Conference
Karelian Research Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences hereby invites to take part in International Research and Training Conference "Challenges of Underground Space Use", which will be held in Petrozavodsk (the Republic of Karelia) on June 20 - 21, 2019.
The conference is to be arranged within the frameworks of "Baltic See Underground Innovation Network" (BSUIN) project of "Interreg. Baltic Sea Region" program, involving specialists from the participating countries.
Purposes of the conference:
- Discussion of legal, organizational and financial aspects of using underground mining workings for the purposes other than extraction of minerals.
- Exchange of experience, studying of the possibilities and arrangement of the interaction between underground laboratories and mining museums.
Focus areas of the conference:
- Underground workings as monuments of nature and historical and cultural heritage. Historical and culturological aspect.
- Conversion and adaptation of underground mining workings to the purposes other than extraction of minerals. Legislative regulation and organizational aspects.
- Assessment of underground workings' economic potential. Various applications of underground space (scientific researches, education, museumification, recreation and etc.)
- Safety assurance for out-of-operation underground workings. Studying transformation of mining workings on post-technogenesis stage and under the conditions of increasing anthropogenic burden; mitigation of risks, prevention of accidents.
- Promotion of underground mining and industrial heritage in media landscape.
The specified list is non-exhaustive and can be added.
Working languages of the conference:: Russian, English.
Travel and living costs at the expense of the sending party.
Registration of the participants of the conference
Application forms of the participants of the conference are admitted up to and including May 17, 2019 to e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.orgRegistration form
Should the subject of a report does not meet the focus areas of the conference, the organizing committee shall notify the participant of it on June 1, 2019 at the latest, suggesting either correcting the subject or rejecting making the report.